Monday, August 6, 2007

History in the Making

I know that there are only a few who read this but I thought that I would quickly give you my take on the whole Barry Bonds HR record chase.

1. Do I believe that Barry Bonds has used steroids? Here is a picture of him his rookie year....around 185 lbs......And next to it a recent picture......around 240 lbs. As a rookie he was smaller than I am!!! People do naturally gain weight as they get older, but not 55lbs of muscle! In case you don't get the hint, YES is my answer.



2. Is it a big deal that he is breaking this record? YES, of all the records of all the sports, this is THE record. No other record has the same aura about it.

3. Does taking steriods make it any less? No but yes at the same time. When you look at the numbers, hitting 756 HR in a career is an amazing task. But the dark cloud of steriods and the poor job of handling the steriod situation by Selig brings it all down.

4. Should there be an asterisk next to his record? No, there is no way to tell how many other records were accomplished with "help." Second, performance enhancing drugs were not against the rules until recently. I know they were illegal, but baseball had not made their own stance.

Those are just a few of my thoughts. In case you are wondering I am writing this as the Giants game is being played I have the game on the TV and ESPN Gamecast going at the same time. Bonds is 0-3 and likely not to bat again tonight.

One last thing I have to say, when I was playing ball, if someone had come up to me and told me that I could have made it to the pros by doing steriods.....I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I agree 100%.

At the end of the day, he still beats the pants off the rest of us...

Sports Ticker